Saturday, April 13, 2013

Morning Surprise



While having morning coffee on a glorious Saturday with the backdrop of a favorite soundtrack [click off ad and let it play if you can] for prayers ascending, I lifted my eyes to behold a spectacular sight: seven brilliant indigo buntings feasted on the Bermuda grass that had gone to seed outside my window!

Luminous electric blue bathed the birds in the morning sun! I have only seen two--ever!--and find these little birds as fetching as their name. Let it roll off the lips--mellifluous as warm honey on a spring day. Such a treat to take in with thanksgiving for the magnificence of nature and the gift of an unexpected blessing in this day off from work.

I had to turn aside to see this great sight.  There are times when we deliberately turn from what preoccupies our mind as we stop in our tracks to notice something extraordinary. I wonder how often we miss the majesty all around us because we are too busy to take it in?

 A quick click of the fingertip told me via National Geographic: I was looking at adult males in breeding plumage accompanied by several first-spring males along with little brown females. Who knew such beauty was right in my own backyard? My mother always says, "What we're looking for is usually right under our nose..."

Steaming coffee, "Gabriel's Oboe" performed on most any instrument, and the sight of first seven, then nine male indigo buntings and several females: I give thanks for life's simple blessings.



 
I have been contemplating and scribbling thoughts on this passage I share: 

"But these are only hints of his power, only the whispers that we have heard. Who can know how truly great God is?"  Job 26:14

"Behold, these are but the outskirts of his ways, and how small a whisper do we hear of him! But the thunder of his power who can understand?"  Job 26:14 ESV

1 comment: