Friday, April 26, 2013

Rising to the Challenge



Our point of view matters.

Are we looking inward or outward? What defines our frame of reference for life's experiences? If we are always expecting happiness and health on the horizon, the outcroppings of disease and distress will devastate every time, leaving us fumbling against failure. If we open wide the lens to take in all that real life offers--sickness and health, better and worse--we learn to appreciate times of respite and grow through adversity.

That's my plan anyway.

What do I know of adversity? There are so many who have experienced deep losses and great heartache that I cannot imagine. Shayne. Carrie Ann and Alan. Jesse Anne. Katie. The list grows as I pause... I dare not put myself in such company. But I believe our preparation for life and our self-talk matters as we set our default position for how we view life.

What informs our beliefs, ultimately?

What anchors us when the storms toss and fear threatens to overtake us?

When we steadfastly pursue a course of walking in faith, we can learn how to take the next step when we think we cannot.

We can learn not to take credit for great joys in life, but to give thanks.

And I have so much to learn....so train me, I pray, Lord, in the ways that are for my good and for your glory.

We do not rise to the level of our expectations. 
We fall to the level of our training.
 

~Archilochos, Greek Soldier, Poet 650 B.C.







He did not say: You will not be troubled, you will not be belaboured, you will not be disquieted; but he said:
You will not be overcome.


 ~Julian of Norwich

 

No comments:

Post a Comment