Monday, October 18, 2010

Erma's Pearl of Wisdom


When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

by Erma Bombeck, from A Seat at the Table

Let us not get to the end of the journey with a still-full tank of talent or anything else - 'just in case' - and packed bags full of stuff 'that we might need', and chests full of food 'so we'll have plenty'. I think it preferable to have used up the energy, and to have distributed the stuff of our collections, and to have shared our food and goods with those who need it and appreciate it along the way.

Yes, we might run out. But what a way to go!

"If anyone has this world's goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him? My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and truth." I John 3:17, 18


(Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl Earring, 1665. The Hague)

No comments:

Post a Comment