Thursday, February 23, 2012

Out of the Mouths of Babes


Words are building blocks in our lives, erecting a solid foundation and sturdy walls to house a developing self or a flimsy shelter that cannot withstand the onslaught of life's prevailing winds. I think often of the impact our words have on those we love.
My friend, Kelly, whose wisdom spilled over onto this page before, is living life after brain tumor surgery last summer. Observe the manner of love of her two-year old:
Simon was asking lots of questions about my hair. I told him that Mama is growing her hair long because she doesn't feel very pretty with short hair. Simon held my face in his hands and said, "Mama, you are a VERY pretty girl. You are a VERY pretty girl with short hair. And I love your neck!
May we, too, gently hold the faces of those we love--caressing literally or figuratively--as we speak honest words of truth and love into their lives. We all need someone to speak the truth into our insecurities and to call us out of ourselves sometimes.
"And a little child shall lead them..."

No comments:

Post a Comment