Thursday, September 30, 2010

Tears Set Free


"I'm a cryer," she offered, as took out a prophylactic tissue at the beginning of our first weekly Bible study, knowing she'd need it.

She was right.

What is it that has the power to bring us to tears? Why is it that some have eyes that fill with tears with the least mention of tenderness, patriotism, or even a G.E. light bulb commercial I remember years ago? Marketing professionals spend millions to move us with their messages. They have to find that sweet spot in our psyche in a 30 second spot.

Seasons of life affect the length of the fuse that sparks our tears as well. And transitions, as we move from something known to something unknown, usually put us in a place of emotional vulnerability. My sister, Kathryn, created a little piece of stitchery for me decades ago: "A new beginning often starts with a small tear."

She was right too.
"...Let him cry whoever feels like crying...the shedding of a tear, whether of forgiveness or of pity or of sheer delight at beauty, will do him a lot of good." Lin Yutang
We are made to respond to life's joys and sorrowful moments in various ways. Consider that the response of crying can be a form of singing - a song in your soul that just wants to emerge. I am unashamed of my tears; they are nothing to hide. They remind me that we are made to feel compassion, to identify with those who are suffering, to be fully present in moments of great joy and celebration and deep loss alike. And sometimes they remind us of how fully human we are, when we are at the end of our rope and feel nothing but exhaustion.

Some of you are there at this moment. Don't hold on to your tears as though they can never be replenished. Set them free. And ask the Father of all mercies to breathe into your spirit a bit of refreshment, enough grace sufficient to get through the demands of this day. And, like manna in the wilderness, you may find strength for your soul in God's provision daily - Grace enough for the day.
And I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being. Ephesians 3:16

3 comments:

  1. How did you know what I needed to hear today? Have a good day. I know I will..... Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. i need to re-read this post daily. thank you so much for the encouragement, from a constant cryer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you. I'm proud of you for your courage in putting your musings, wisdom and encouraging words on paper. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete